2.26.2009

Going to the Market

Well we've completed our first week of classes today! I'm feeling much more settled, mostly over my jet lag, and finally understanding the rhythm of living in a place like Orvieto.

Yesterday in place of both classes we took two different tours of the town. The first class is the one that focuses on Catholicism and Protestantism, so we saw different historical buildings and sites tied to the earlier history of Italy (back to papal states and the introduction of Italy as an actual country). My favorite part of the tour was getting to see monasteries and cathedrals in Orvieto that hold a lot of religious, political, historical and social importance. During our break, we tried a new cafe where I had my first espresso shot ever (you order it by saying "Vorrei un cafe'"). After lunch, our Italian teacher Laura took us on a more practical tour of places that we will certainly be needing as American college students living here (pharmacy, post office, grocery store) and places where we can practice our Italian (coffee and pastry shops, shoe and clothing stores with less expensive but good options, internet cafe's, etc.). You may know that people in Italy don't really wear flip flops. Well, you can also tell the Americans by our other shoe choices as well, generall speaking. People dress up here on a very regular basis with their nicest shoes (mostly leather, boots for the ladies, stylish dress shoes for the men), coats and purses. Another favorite option is that all of the older ladies wear fur coats down to almost their knees! You see them around town but mostly in the churches (which are all so big that they're hard to heat)...so people wear coats all the way through the service.

Speaking of church services, we observed Ash Wednesday yesterday in the Duomo. The service was in Italian entirely again, but it was breathtaking to be inside partaking in church with this group of people. I found myself thinking about how this church body was unique and different from my home church/school church, simply for the fact that they do not speak my language and have had such different backgrounds/lifestories from my own in Italy. Yet the church body holds similarities more than I can even see in way of dress or talk because we are still gathering together under the same God and for the same purposes.

After class today everyone went to the open outdoor market in the Piazza del Popolo (a town square a few minute walk from the restaurant where we take our meals). It felt a little bit like a flea market in America, but one could also smell exquisite fresh fruits and vegetables, cheeses, nuts, meat and dried fruit. I bought a beautiful teal scarf for 3 euros (only about $5!) and some dried fruit to snack on. This market is held every Thursday and Saturday morning. After a lunch of lasagna, kebabs and fresh salad at Locanda del Lupo (did I mention yet that most meals are served in 2 courses?), my new friends Emily, Kelsey, Lauren and I walked around town. We spent the afternoon relieved to be done classes for the week, talking in the "sala" (the living room the group shares), and eating more food (we got gelato!). I'm going to look like a different person when I get home with the way that life here tends to revolve around food so much!

In the afternoons here, the whole town takes "reposa" which is an afternoon rest. Since lunch is the biggest meal, the next 3-4 hours are spent napping or relaxing. Every store in town seems to shut down (other than the cafes and gelaterias). They open back up again at about 5 pm except on Wednesdays, when the stores all close at 1 pm for the day (not opening up again til the next morning). It's so interesting and sooo different from what we are all used to! It's not very convenient sounding, but I actually like it!

Tonight we are going to hear live music at a cafe and then some of the girls are going to watch Roman Holiday together to prep us for our trip on Saturday to Roma! Arrivederci!

P.S. We only get an hour or so of internet a day, and it doesn't have the strongest signal so it takes very long to load websites/upload pictures. I'm working on getting some visuals up for everyone!

6 comments:

  1. "When in Rome..."

    Have a great time! I enjoy stopping by every day, and I look forward to hearing about the amazing things you will experience this spring.

    It is mind boggling for this child of the 1960's (and I know my dear Niece you will find this hard to believe because it has always been there for you) that we can be so easily connected with you, so far away, and can effortlessly share in your incredible adventure.

    Pretty amazing stuff given the best your parents, your Aunt Leslie and I had at your age was a letter and a stamp or a long distance call to our parents...collect!

    Have a blast! It's great to see and feel the Orvieto through your words. Please don't stop writing! You have a talent!

    Uncle Roger...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heather, My Love!

    Sounds like you are loving it! I miss seeing you around and am jealous of your current adventures. My seat application got accepted and now I just have to wait to see if my application to Orvieto gets accepted... I'll find out by March 6! Scary. Kp is going to Tailand next Spring!

    And with all the walking you are doing and all the good healthy non chemical food, you will lose weight I bet.

    Love you bunches!
    ~Carissa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh sounds like you are having such a good time! I love reading all about your adventures. I am so proud of you, and proud to call you my friend! You have such beautiful observations and I'm really glad you have a chance to do something neat like this--hope you continue to learn and grow and have fun!
    love you,
    Melis

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, apparently Melis and I share the same brain, lol...

    It is so exciting to me that you are getting to experience Italy...As I was reading this, I must admit, I got a little weepy, because your stories remind me so much of when I was there...Have so much fun, enjoy every second of it!

    Miss you sooooo much! Can't wait to read some more about your adventures!

    Ciao bella! Hai un grande tempo in Italia!

    <3 T

    ReplyDelete
  5. isn't europe great!? i love the different schedules and attitudes about everything!
    i miss you! i'm so glad you are off to a great start!
    LYLAT!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH! and of course as i was reading your blog, regina spector came up on my itunes! couldn't be more appropriate! i can feel you all the way across the ocean!

    ReplyDelete