2.24.2009

What a fat Tuesday

Ciao friends! Pretty uneventful day thus far. Except for a funny story from the morning. I was being really silly last night with some friends (I know surprising), and my pocket sized alarm clock fell out of my pocket. The time still worked so I thought it'd be fine. However, it didn't go off this morning. I awoke to my sweet roommate Alicia moving around at about 8:00. I jumped in the shower and got ready for my 9:00 class. With wet hair and both of us still barely mobile in a morning grog, a classmate rushed into our room saying that our professor had already prayed and we were 15 minutes late to class. Apparently Alicia's alarm clock was set to the wrong time an hour behind. We rushed to class embarrassed, but it was fine. You don't have to guess that the first thing I did after lunch was buy a new alarm clock for about 15 euros. What a start to the day ;)

After lunch, a small group of us bought gelato (my first time in the few days we've been here). Mine was multo bene (very good)! It was a flavor that tasted like hazelnut and nutella. Mmm.

About to head out into the town for Carnival (Fat Tuesday? Marti Gras? Sound familiar?). It's the day before Ash Wednesday, and a huge celebration before the beginning of Lent. We learned today that it is called Carnival because when you look at the root of the word you find "carne" (meat)... everyone celebrates and has tons of meat to make up for the tradition of no meat for the next 40 days. Everyone dresses up in fun costumes and throws confetti and listens to live music supposedly. We'll find out soon, as we're about to head out for "pasagata" (a walk around the town before our 8 pm dinner). I'll tell you all about it later!

P.S. I know some people have asked for my address here so you can find it below! Grazie!

Monastery San Paolo
Via Postierla, 20
05018 Orvieto (TR)

1 comment:

  1. WOW.I love reading your blog. It's a precious gift to those of us that have not had the pleasure of traveling overseas. I run home everyday from school to see if my favorite author has left us a gift to unwrap. I love how you appeal to all of our five senses in your detailed journaling. I really do sometimes feel like I can see, smell and hear the things you are so richly enjoying.I definitely feel the excitement and enthusiasm as well. I'm so very glad that you have this opportunity and that we can vicariously take the journey with you!
    Ciao bella. Love you more, Mommamia

    ReplyDelete