4.10.2009

Buona Pasqua!

Looking forward to an Italian Easter (Pasqua) weekend. This evening for Good Friday there will be a procession around the town that commemorates the Stations of the Cross, and I've heard from multiple sources that it is quite moving and reflective. Tomorrow night we are going to the Duomo (the big Orvieto cathedral) at 10:30 pm for a candlelit vigil service. And Sunday morning we will sing all of the songs we've been practicing twice a week with the choir, and we'll celebrate with the congregation the resurrection of Jesus Christ. I've found myself thinking this week about how Protestants place a lot of emphasis (generally speaking) on the victory of Christ rising again to bring new life and hope. While Easter has always been a joyous day for me in the past, this whole season of Lent and this Holy Week here in Orvieto have helped me to reflect a bit more on the suffering of Christ. For when we are able to think about His suffering, what that looked like, why it happened, and what it meant for us, His resurrection means that much more.

I'm writing a play right now! It's for the Women's History class, and our 9-person class will present it to the large art class on Tuesday of this coming week. We learned that in early modern Europe some nuns didn't actually want to take their vows/join convents, but were rather forced in by their families. Apparently, it actually cost money for a family to place their daughters in convents, but it cost less money than paying a dowry for a husband. At times when a suitable husband could not be found, or there were too many daughters in a family (and not enough money for a dowry for each) a convent was a good alternative. Also during the Protestant Reformation when Catholic convents were shut down, some families that converted to Protestantism even dragged their daughters out (daughters who DID willingly choose to be there). Thus, the play is about some of the stories and events surrounding these facts... we'll show a daily life of the nuns (with them rising before the sun to start prayer, etc.), and then a disrupted day (the mothers dragging their daughters out of the convents). I'm playing one of those rebel nuns who was forced in by my family... she'll be planning an escape and writing letters complaining about her life there. A few of us are doing the writing but all of us (including our teacher) will perform it. So glad I'm still able to keep finding ways to explore theatre in new ways here!

I'm feeling a bit homesick this week. I'm not sure if some of it has to do with the scare of the earthquake. Or perhaps because Easter is such a day when most families are together (and three or four students have families visiting right now); this is the first time I'm away from home on Easter. Not quite sure of the reasons but it's been a pretty hard week for me. I have gotten a few letters from my grandparents, family, friends and boyfriend, and their words have certainly provided comfort. Also, I was able to talk to my dad, mom and Nick yesterday, and my best friend Sarah and I were able to talk this morning. It's really good to hear the voices of those I love but it will be even better to actually see everyone in a while. Next weekend I'll be in Prague with Sarah and our friend Christina. In less than a month Nick will be here to visit. Shortly after that, I just found out that Sarah and her sister might be actually coming to Orvieto to see me! And then I'll be heading back to NJ within a month (June 15). I'm just about halfway through the program and I've heard that this can be the hardest time. But if you could just pray for me (that I will not distract myself from these feelings but rather find ways to work through them), I would appreciate it.

That being said, I miss you all and hope that you have a beautiful Easter weekend. Please keep informing me about your life! If you've written me an email or letter and have yet to hear a response I apologize and will hopefully write back very very soon. Thank you all for your patience, prayers and encouragement!

3 comments:

  1. Heath, no need to EVER respond to our letters or Emails. They are so we can send our love and help you keep the spirit to continue you're wonderful, moving experiences.

    Happy Easter. Take care of yourself and know that you are fine and will continue to be.
    Grammy & Grampy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heath, I really thought about the Resurrection of Jesus as we attended our Isles early morning Easter Service. We have two minister who lived here and who provided a very nice lovely Easter service that was attended by a pretty good crowd.

    I wish I could see your play and think you're perfect for the rebel Nun so you can show your great acting ability
    Grammy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Heather! This is Ally G.:) I hope you are doing well.. I have ready some of your blogs and Italy sounds AMAZING! :) I just wanted to say i'm praying for u for the homesickness...I too am VERY(!) homesick.. I haven't been home since January and Easter was hard being alone..
    I love hearing all your fun stories.. it was very interesting to hear the history of the convent!! I never knew that before.. good luck on your play! it sounds like you definitely found your niche while being there.. SO COOL! God is good :)
    Do you have a mailing address?
    I will talk to you later! have an amazing day heather :).. keep smilin'! ps wicked cute haircut!!

    ReplyDelete